Saturday, April 19, 2014

Blog Post #13

For this week, Dr. Strange left it up to us to come up with a blog post assignment that adheres to our area of speciality and then do it. My major is elementary education, so I picked a topic that had to do with that. My blog post assignment is the following: What is the importance of educating elementary students on the importance of safety? This can apply to their everyday life as well as in the classroom. Write a blog post that answers this question.

Safety is a very important issue and should be taught to elementary students at a young age. One of the biggest websites that advocates child safety is Safekids.org. Their main goal is to prevent injuries in children, which also happens to be the number one killer of kids in the United States. This site also provides many resources that helps to spread the word about child safety. They have printable stickers and sheets that contain the 7 most important safety tips for kids. They also have an online fundraiser that you can donate to as well as a "Safe Kids Day." I feel that it is extremely important to educate students about safety. Too many parents today are not practicing safety with their children, and more and more kids are getting hurt and killed because of it. As a future teacher, I would use the resources from safekids.org to teach my children as well as their parents on proper safety techniques. I would send home the 7 safety tips sheet as well as information about the website, so parents can see what their children are learning about. I would teach my students some of the basic safety tips such as: buckling their seat belt, wearing a helmet while riding a bike, and wearing a safety jacket while swimming. These are simple enough to know, but can ultimately mean the difference between life and death in the case of an accident. Overall, my goal as a teacher is to make sure my students are being safe and wearing proper equipment so as to prevent injury. At the same time I want to educate them on why it is important to practice these safety skills in their everyday life.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Tara,
    I really did enjoy your blog post. I must agree that safety is important for any student. I love the idea of setting up an online donation site for insuring safety in schools and also have a safety day. I would like to see that happen at all of the elementary schools in the Mobile County School System.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tara! I love your safety topic. This is something that I believe in any setting supersedes all other priorities. I especially love the idea of sending home materials for the parents to also be included in the process. I have seen that when parents are more included in the efforts of the school, the progress is more likely to occur. Especially in the Mobile area, the issue of safety is a very real issue, but I am very optimistic of positive change so long as there is a collaborative effort. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Tara! I agree that safety is very important and students need to learn. Safekids.org sounds like a great source for kids to learn about how to be safe.

    ReplyDelete